[sac-board] Board Item: SAC Club Disclaimer

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Board" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:08:54 -0700

Board:

I happened to notice that there was great potential for liability claims to
be inflicted on our persons or our organization at the last event ("Did you
see those prairie dog holes? You coulda broke your leg in one on the way to
the portapotty, and then have the blinker light fall off the roof and hit
you on the head when you pounded on the door, etc.") and so propose for
Board approval the following disclaimer to be implemented at all future
events (which I stole and modified from bicycling events whose disclaimers
are very strong), to wit:

RELEASE/ WAIVER: (All participants must sign a waiver) I hereby waive and
discharge all claims, actions, and causes of actions by me, my heirs,
executors, and administrators against SAC, PAC, TAC, EVAC, HAC, and
ClickNClack and their officers, directors, sponsors, and sponsoring
organizations and any others connected with this event, for any injury, harm
or death, damages, loss or inconvenience, including damage, loss, or theft
of my expensive equipment, sustained as a result of my participation in this
or any SAC, PAC, TAC, EVAC, HAC, or ClickNClack event or any events
associated therewith. I am aware of the inherent risks in participating in
an astronomy event, and I assume all responsibility for my own safety. I
understand that the Club requires trusses to be worn by all participants
while operating telescopes larger than 14.5" aperture. I agree to wear a
truss at all times during the event when I am loading, unloading,
assembling, or otherwise fiddling with a telescope that big. I agree to obey
all traffic laws at all times during the event and observe standard star
party etiquette. I also consent to and permit emergency medical treatment in
the event of injury or illness. I also give full permission for the use of
my name and photograph in connection with this event.

Signature:                                                        Date:

Please add to next Board agenda.
Yours truly,
Jack Jones, Esq.