[ryerson_index] Ryerson Notice Repository

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 00:23:19 +1000

The Ryerson Notice Repository (or RNR for short) is the new home for our consolidated file of notice scans.

The old folder (Ryerson Notice Scans) was subdivided by publisher, but this is not intuitive when looking for an obscure paper. So we have decided to file the scans strictly in newspaper name order, using the masthead on the .pdf as a guide. Where the newspaper name does not give any indication of its place of origin, then the place name is appended in brackets [eg The Age (Melbourne)].

Some newspapers use the word "The" as the first word of the masthead (eg The Northern Daily Leader) while others do not (eg Manly Daily). To avoid a concentration of papers alphabetically under "The", we have decided to ignore this word in sequencing the mastheads. So we'll have Manly Daily, Northern Daily Leader (Tamworth) etc.

But like all rules, there are exceptions - in this case, two: The Age (Melbourne) and The Australian. These two papers don't look and sound right if we strip out "The", so it stays.

The new folder can be found at this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa0h6r77t5hkbku/AAAqPRusq_qTi2oT1aCmyJpaa?dl=0

Over the next few days we will be progressively moving the scans into the RNR, after which I will delete the Scans folder.

John