[ryerson_index] Re: Any Suggestions?

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 11:55:31 +1000

Rex (and all indexers),

I don't know how many more times I need to say this, but let me repeat it again:

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH A NOTICE, SHOW US THE NOTICE, NOT YOUR ABRIDGED VERSION. And yes, that's meant to be a shout.

This list lets you send attachments, so use that feature. Alternatively, if the notice is in the RNR, tell us where to find it.

The context of other information within a notice can give clues as to what the likely answer is. Without that, we're guessing without knowing the full facts.

Given this notice is in the RNR, all you had to tell us was the newspaper (NT News) and publication date (6 May 2017).

Looking at the notice I get the impression that whoever entered it couldn't pick a grammar rule from a 12-inch piece of timber. The use of the comma after Nee, and the use of "Kelly's" makes me seriously doubt the validity of the fullstop after Uli. Maybe it's trying to say that Uli is an abbreviation for something longer, who knows? I also wouldn't stake my life on them getting the spelling correct.

So I would index the maiden name as surname MOES, given name Uli. That's probably the most likely of a number of possibilities, based solely on the information in the death notice.

Looking at the funeral notice (NT News, May 17), things get even more murky, to the extent the two notices don't even seem to be for the same person. The only common name is Estherlina.

We have to fall back on our rule of "index what is published".

John

Any suggestions as to how to deal with this one?:

Estherlina Couturier
(Nee, Uli. Moes)
05.12.1949-03.04.2017

The maiden name looks strange, and doesn’t seem to bear any relationship to the name at death.

Thanks

Rex

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>Mail for Windows 10