[romefloydhumanesocietychairs] New Email List

  • From: dwoodrick <dwoodrick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: romefloydhumanesocietychairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 14:31:53 -0400

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to talk a bit about our newest feature at the Rome Floyd County Humane Society.

I've been working for the past few weeks on building a user-friendly, easy to use, and cost effective solution for a mailing list/newsletter for us. Our old system was ineffective, cumbersome and had a host of problems. I thought I'd start off by going through some questions and answers about the new list and how I plan to use it.

Q: What is this new email list thingy?

A: This is an email list/newsletter. Basically it's a way for us to keep in touch with members and non-members alike.

Q: How often are you going to email them?

A: Right now, I'm planning on once a week. Sometime Friday or Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

Q: Who's going to get these emails?

A: I'm starting the list with all current members, members whose membership have lapsed in the past couple of years, and folks who have shown an interest. This list will be open to the public, and anyone can sign up or sign out if they wish.

Q: Can anyone post to this list?

A: No, all post are moderated. That means that only what the administrator (me) allows to go through, will go through.

Q: What will be in these emails?

A: Below is a basic outline of what I'm planning to do:

Pet of the week

A)Pet of the week from petfinder

B)Adoption info

Events

A)Upcoming

B)Most recent

News

A)RFHS news

B)National HSUS news (Condensed from the HSUS emails)

Links

A)Membership info and renew link

B)Volunteer info

C)Paypal Donation button

D)Amazon link

E)Big Crumbs link

F)Website, Facebook, ect

This is just a first draft, and is subject to change. If you have suggestions I'm happy to hear them.

Q: Can we add pictures or attachments?

A: No. This is a free service we're using, and embedding images, or adding attachments is a no-no. If this goes well, we can always upgrade to a paid service that will let us do that. For right now I feel this is the best way to go.

Q: Why don't we use....

A: I looked into many, many email lists and services including Constant Contact, iContact, MailChimp, ect, ect. The problem is most of them are fee based. Right now free is about all we can afford.

Q: When will this start?

A: Hopefully this Friday I'll send out the first email. I hope to have everything prepared to go by Tuesday or Wednesday. Welcome emails will start going out then, welcoming everyone to the list.

If anyone has any questions, or suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!