[rollei_list] Re: loading the Automat

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:27:42 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <wamyers@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:00 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] loading the Automat

Hi guys--

I have been following the discussion of shutter cock and film advance with
interest, as I have what may be a related problem with my Automat 3: After
the first exposure on a new roll, I cannot advance the film till I have
released the shutter a second time (I cover the lens to avoid double
exposing the first frame). From frame 2 to frame 12 all works as it should
(and the shots come out fine). I cannot tell without experimentation (I
will now sacrifice a roll of film) whether this is due to a malfunction or
my ignorance about exactly how far to advance the film when loading. I
bought the camera last summer, did not get good instructions from the
seller, and have dealt with this problem (intermittantly) ever since. To
eliminate one variable: exactly where should the arrow on the film backing
end up before closing the back of the camera? Perhaps the problem is my not
advancing far enough?

Thanks

Bill Myers

As others have stated the "automatic" part of the Rolleiflex Automat is that it feels the start of the film and does not need to have the film set to match arrows on the backing or to a start number in a red window. To thread the automat the film leader should go in between the two bottom rollers. You can test the camera with the aid of two items: First is a dummy film roll made by winding some tape on one end of an empty roll. Masking tape works fine. Wind several layers. The other tool is simply a business card or paper of similar thickness folded in two and pushed in between the two rollers. This should release the pawl and mimic the start of the film. Place the dummy roll in the top compartment with the tape under the toothed wheel. When the camera is closed it should wind as though there were film in it. Each winding should cock the shutter and advance the counter. The wind will remain locked until the shutter is released. Then the crank should move freely until the next frame is wound. The only difference is that the crank motion will be the same distance each time since the diameter of the dummy spool does not change. After twelve windings and trippings of the shutter the crank should wind freely.
In normal operation the backing paper is threaded between the two rollers and over the top roller and onto the take up spool at the top. The spool is wound a little to insure the end of the leader is firmly gripped by the spool. Then the back is closed and the crank advanced until it stops. The crank winds freely until the thicker part of the film where the film is taped to the paper backing goes between the rollers. That releases the metering mechanism (which also lifts the upper roller away from the film). Once past the join where the film starts the crank will wind just enough further to move the first frame of film into the gate. Then it stops. The crank is then returned to neutral which unlocks the shutter trip. When the shutter is tripped it again releases the crank which will wind the next frame and then stop again. This continues until the roll is finished.
I am stating this to make sure we are all in the same place. If you are threading the film correctly and the crank is _not_ released after tripping the shutter the problem may be sticky lubricant in some part of the mechanism or possibly failure of the mechanism to fully cock the shutter. There is an internal adjustment for the cocking lever movement. The movement of this lever is to some degree affected by the focus position so, when you have the dummy roll in the camra, if there is a problem see if it happens at both focus extremes. If you have this problem the camera needs to go to a good technician for adjustment or possible replacement of a worn part. Even mis-assembly of the front of the camera can cause this problem.
Its also possible some part of the wind and metering mechanism is sticky due to old lubricant. This also is a job for a good technician who can clean and relubricate it and adjust other things during that job.
If the film is not threaded right, i.e., its over instead of under the roller, it will just wind continuously until its all on the take up side. I don't think this is your problem but, again, stated the correct threading method to make sure.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx