[rollei_list] Re: are there more than one kind of Bay-II?

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:13:40 +0000 (GMT)

Steve, I have a long experience using Bay II lens
hoods, first with my former 3.5E and now with the
3.5F, the Bay II lens hood has a point where it fits
easily, it's very difficult to fit if you can't find
the point, the point is between 10 and 11 hours
considering the F&H logo position regarding the 12
hours position on the taking lens outer ring, if the
lens hood is in the right point you turn it to 12
hours and it clicks easily at 12 hours coinciding the
12 hours position for the lens hood and taking lens
ring.
BTW, the lens hood Bay II for 3.5E and 3.5F has a
special cut on its ring with an also special shape
allowing to fit it in the taking lens outer ring and
avoinding the contact with the viewing lens outer ring
(and with the shutter speeds wheel), the lens hood
covers the taking lens outer ring thanks to this
special cut.
If your lens hood has an entire ring without cut it
could be a Bay I lens hood for Rolleiflex 6x6 and
Rolleicord, or it could be a lens hood for 2.8A,
similar Bay II size but with an entire ring like the
Bay I lens hood I have mentioned, I think this lens
hood would be very difficult if not impossible to fit
on a 3.5E or 3.5F, I never tried it.
Prochnow in the Rollei Report II, pages 24-510 and
24-511 shows the photographs about the lens hoodss
manufactured for the TLR from 1947 and their
descriptions, he distinguishes between lens hood with
"axialer Klemmung" and lens hoods with "radialen
Raststiften" according the way used to fit them in the
taking lens outer ring ( I know the practical meaning
for both fitting ways but I don't know the exact
translation from German into English, the first one
would be something like " axial wedging" and the
second one something about "radial pins").
The 3.5E and 3.5F lens hood have "radialen
Raststiften", and the lens hoods Bay 1 for 6x6 and the
Bay II for 2.8A have "axialer Klemmung", both types of
lens hoods rings cover the taking lens outer ring, but
they work different. The 2.8A lens hood has the F&H
logo and "34Ø" according you can see in the photograph
clearly.
You can see a Bay II lens hood for 3.5E and 3.5F
cameras here:
http://www.collectcamera.com/pagesrollei/hoodscaps/hoodmetalbay2b.htm

and you can see a Bay I lens hood looking for the item
170016871225 on eBay, the 2.8A lens hood looks very
similar.-

All the best
Carlos

 --- steven woody <narkewoody@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> hi, list
>
> i just bought a metal Len Hood for my Rolleiflex
> 3.5E ( serial no
> 1748514 ).  the seller declared it is Bay-II mount
> but i can not
> manage to mount it on to my lens.
>
> after carefully checked my lens mounts, i found the
> two lens mounts of
> my TLR are positioned one
> closed to another, i mean there is no gap between
> two mounts, nothing
> can be inserted between two mounts.  so, i think, if
> a lens hood can
> mount the lens, it has to get a male mount and
> insert into the female
> slots of the lens mount, not covering its outer.
> but the lens hood on
> my hand gets a mount likely to be female, and its
> size make it looks
> like it should cover the outer of a lens mount. it
> is impossible.
>
> i don't get digicam so i can not upload picture for
> my camera and the
> lens hood.  attached is a pic of 2.8F i got from
> net, which has a same
> ( or similar ) structure with my lens mounts.  i
> hope you can see the
> problem and tell me what is the wrong.
>
> thank you in advance.
>
> --
> Celine: Yes, of course! Now that makes total sense,
> right? You're a
> Capricorn, I'm a Sagittarius, that's why we get
> along so well!

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org