[rollei_list] Re: Zeiss Lens Cleaner

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 13:05:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Jensen" <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 11:18 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Zeiss Lens Cleaner

I have a spray bottle labeled 'Zeiss Lens Cleaner'. The backside has the words "Especially formulated for Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc. by nanoFILM LTD, Cleveland, Ohio". The only hint as to the contents are the words "Contains isopropanol".

John

Pretty much all the lens cleaners and window cleaners which have MSDS that actually list ingredients turn out to be based on either; 1, isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol); 2, Ammonia, usually ammonium hydroxide but ammonium carbonate in the case of Kodak Lens Cleaner; 3, Butyl alcohol, AKA several other names, often labeled "streak free". Most have a wetting agent in them in the form of a detergent or, in the case of ROR, soap. Most of the cleaners have either Triton-X 100 or some form of Celusolve, both brand names for stuff with complex chemical names. Lens cleaners should meet at least two requirements; they must not damage the the lens, and they must not leave a residue. Neither isoproply alcohol or ammonia is a good grease remover when diluted as much as they are in lens or window cleaner. If a lens has oil or grease on it something stronger must be used. The two best solvents for this are naphtha and acetone. Naptha in pure form does not leave a residue, relatively pure naphtha can be obtained as Ronsonol lighter fluid. In bulk its available from any store than sells paint. Acetone is a pretty broad spectrum solvent so one must be very careful of it around plastics and paint. It was and maybe still is a standard cleaner for optical parts in manufacture. either of these can be followed up with a standard lens or window cleaner followed with a distilled water rinse. Nothing will remove scratches. If a lens is scratched the only cure is to re-polish the surface. This has the hazard that the figure of the surface may be changed. For the most part lens performance will not be affected by small changes in the thickness of elements but there will be some and re-polishing does affect thickness a little. Scratched coatings, assuming the scratch does not go into the glass, require removing the coating and recoating. There are people who do this but its expensive, and AFAIK, none of the recoaters offers multi-layer recoating. If the scratch has gone into the glass repolishing as well as recoating is necessary. AFAIK, there is no solvent that will remove coatings, they must be polished off. None of this is trivial. The best advice is to keep lenses as clean as possible so that lens cleaning is not done often. Surface dust can be blown off with a hand squeegee, or gentle application of canned air. Again, I stress avoiding using anything that contacts the glass surface twice. Reportedly Kimberly-Clarke treats all their tissue pulp to remove grit. I have used their toilet paper sucessfully. Cheap and works. Kimwipes, now I think called something else, are specifically made for delicate cleaning jobs and are good for lens cleaning. I confirmed this with the company. Be careful because its possible to scratch up a lens without even knowing you are doing it.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA