[rollei_list] Re: Veterans' Day/Armistice Day/Remembrance Day

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:59:26 -0500

At 11:32 PM 11/11/2008, Robert Meier wrote:
>Marc,
>
>While Plato does seem to be disqualified, that web page says it is fact that
>Santayana used the line in 1924, and MacArthur didn't use it until 1962, so
>you can't attibute it to MacArthur.

A good point, but we are probably quibbling over details. Santayana used like words but not the direct quotation, I believe. Santayana's version was quoted by Pratt and de Camp in their Prewar Science Fantasy and is cited in de Camp and Ley's Postwar LANDS BEYOND. But the precise wording seems that of Douglas MacArthur. Or am I reading something improperly?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!