[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT; Nevil Shute

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:17:02 -0500

At 06:53 PM 11/19/2013, Allan Derickson wrote:
>Nevil Shute is probably best known in the US for On The Beach which was made
>into a movie starring Gregory Peck in 1959.
>
>I recall a book of his set in England during WWII about an airplane
>designer. I can't remember the title.
>
>Allan

ON THE BEACH is perhaps Shute's worst book. The book before that, TRUSTEE FROM THE TOOLROOM, was probably his best.

I know Shute's work well and I do recall a work of his involving a WWII aircraft designer. There is NO HIGHWAY, later made into the James Stewart vhicle as NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY, but that is post WWII. And there were the Stephen Morris novels of post WWI aviation.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!