[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: For PC Computer Gurus Only

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:09:18 -0700

At 02:05 PM 9/14/2006 -0700, Richard responded to Marc James Small:

Yeah, what Nick says. Forget about hooking up the camera and simply use a card reader (you can get one for about $10-20 USD). That will show up as a separate drive and you simply drag and drop the images anywhere you want onto your hard drive.

Richard S.

Actually, they are going for almost nothing at the local Fry's, after you take all the discounts and mail-in rebates.

You may have to install a driver for the card reader, however there is a good chance that your XP Pro will dig around and find a driver for the adapter. With the exception of my first scanner and various printers, XP Pro seems to have found an acceptable driver for anything I put in a USB port. I still install the drivers and connect the cameras directly to the computer, however.

Just a couple of cautions:

1. Don't delete anything from the card using the computer, it may then have to be formatted again by the camera, thus losing all the photos on the card.
2. Do a test to verify that the reader doesn't mark the files as having been accessed, again requiring a re-format in the camera.
3. Use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function before pulling the card from the reader.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA