[rollei_list] Re: Triotar

  • From: Eric <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:50:44 -0400

Neil:

> I have read some reports on Rolleicords where they implied that anything with
> the Triotar lens was inadequate.
> What design is the Triotar anyway?  A Cooke Triplet?
> I have had a 'Cord II with Triotar and I am satisfied with its performance. I
> am not enlarging the negatives to any extreme degree.
> What are the limits of the Triotar?

It is a Taylor-type triplet. This type of lens is extremely sensitive to the
specific design, execution and individual variation of what's on your
particular camera. That said, all things being equal, you would be hard
pressed to see the difference between a triplet and a tessar-type away from
the corners, and corner performance for a good triplet is fine if well
stopped down.

I like to shoot heads with a good triplet wide open...

Eric Goldstein