[rollei_list] Re: TMax 100 Development

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:16:10 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Zak" <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 9:50 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: TMax 100 Development

On Oct 20, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 09:39 PM 10/19/2008, Allen Zak wrote:
>D76 was used in the development stage when Kodak was >perfecting the >film. It works very well diluted 1:1. T-Max will also >produce fine >results in its 1:7 dilution. Compared to conventional >films, Tmax >develops contrast more rapidly and must be timed >carefully to avoid >blowing out highlights. Developer should be chosen and >used with
those
>options that allow for longer times to minimize small >deviations from >optimum. If, for example, T-Max times out at 6.5 minutes >@75% in
T-Max
>developer diluted 1:4, a 30 sec. or 2°F error will >produce a
noticeable
>variations in negative contrast. At a 1:7 dilution, >requiring 9.5 >minutes, the deviation would be, by percentage, less. In >any case, I >recommend standardizing on one of the Kodak products >because they are
>ubiquitous in US photo supply shops, not Rodinal so much.

Allen

You make me sad I do know where my earlier postings on this have gone a-gley. Ctein, now some sort of Digital guru, posted a note back in the CAMERA AND DARKROOM days to use Rodinal with TMX, and the results were great. No, they were grand: I have some shots from Myrtle Beach which are deathlessly sharp. Not the content: I am delighted with the content but I generally do not post my photography as it, to me, is a VERY private affair of what you guys deride as "happy snaps". I rarely shoot anything else.

I suspect that a search of the Rollie List archives or the LUG archives around 1995 would provide more. I will have to dig: it might have been a Rodinal mx at 1:70 at 8 minutes? I"d have to look it up. Ctein is available and he might recall. It was not that long ago. 1991 or so.

Marc

Marc,

Um... not sure what in my post saddens you. My comment on Rodinal refers to its availability. In Columbus, a large city, it is not stocked at any of our local shops. I imagine that might be true elsewhere. Kodak D76, OTOH, can be found at any photo specialty shop, perhaps at supermarkets, flea markets and hardware stores ;-).

Although results with other films were good, I never used Rodinal to develop TMX, so couldn't comment on its suitability. Regrets for having missed your earlier posts on the subject, but I don't always read everything posted here. During large periods of time (almost all
of 2004, for example), I wasn't signed on at all.

Allen Zak

Rodinal is probably not the optimum developer for any film but gives quite acceptable results with nearly any of them. Rodinal, when highly diluted, say 1:100, gives exagerated acutance effects which results in very sharp looking negatives even when there is not really a lot of fine detail. It tends to be grainy but, when used with inherently fine grain films, like T-Max and the late, lamented, Panatomic-X, will yield fairly fine grain results. Unlike high sulfite developers which tend to produce more grain (and slightly higher speed) when diluted Rodinal tends to be less grainy when diluted. This depends on the particular film. One reason for Rodinal's graininess is its relatively high pH. The effect of this is lessened when its diluted. I've used Rodinal with many films, mainly for sheet film, and find it yields good tone rendition with any of them but I don't use it for roll and 35m film because of the grain. Rodinal can loose just a bit of speed, perhaps half a stop although I usually shoot at box speed and have not observed any underexposure effects with it. I generally use it at 1:30 or 1:50 depending on what the development time is. I prefer times on the order of 8 to 12 minutes if possible. Shorter times can cause problems with uniformity (except for tray and drum development) and longer times are a PITA. Rodinal has the great advantage of convenience and very long shelf life. However, if one has D-76 available it will generally give you better results with T-Max films than Rodinal.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA