[rollei_list] Re: TMax 100 Development

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:51:39 -0400

At 09:39 PM 10/19/2008, Allen Zak wrote:
>D76 was used in the development stage when Kodak was perfecting the
>film.  It works very well diluted 1:1.  T-Max will also produce fine
>results in its 1:7 dilution.  Compared to conventional films, Tmax
>develops contrast more rapidly and must be timed carefully to avoid
>blowing out highlights.  Developer should be chosen and used with those
>options that allow for longer times to minimize small deviations from
>optimum.  If, for example, T-Max times out at 6.5 minutes @75% in T-Max
>developer diluted 1:4, a 30 sec. or 2°F error will produce a noticeable
>variations in negative contrast.  At a 1:7 dilution, requiring 9.5
>minutes, the deviation would be, by percentage, less.  In any case, I
>recommend standardizing on one of the Kodak products because they are
>ubiquitous in US photo supply shops, not Rodinal so much.

Allen

You make me sad I do know where my earlier postings on this have gone a-gley. Ctein, now some sort of Digital guru, posted a note back in the CAMERA AND DARKROOM days to use Rodinal with TMX, and the results were great. No, they were grand: I have some shots from Myrtle Beach which are deathlessly sharp. Not the content: I am delighted with the content but I generally do not post my photography as it, to me, is a VERY private affair of what you guys deride as "happy snaps". I rarely shoot anything else.

I suspect that a search of the Rollie List archives or the LUG archives around 1995 would provide more. I will have to dig: it might have been a Rodinal mx at 1:70 at 8 minutes? I"d have to look it up. Ctein is available and he might recall. It was not that long ago. 1991 or so.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!