[rollei_list] TMax 100 Development

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:50:20 -0400

Thanks for the expert answers on my TMax 100 question. Looks like there are some real photochmical experts on this list. I will try the D76 1:1 approach. If I like the TMax characteristics I might also try the TMax developer, but some chemicals hard to get here and developer shipping is restricted.

Riachrd, is a "diffusion enlarger" the same thing as a "cold light enlarger" ? I have an Aristo cold light head for my Omega B22XL but never actually tried it. I certainly have lots of B&W negs that appear to have too much contrast for the condenser head.

Jan

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Both will give you satisfactory results but D-76 is
closer to optimum and will deliver somewhat greater speed
and finer grain. I use D-76 1:1 as a one shot for 100T-Max.
The optimum developer is Kodak Xtol which gives the best
combination of fine grain, maximum speed, and good
sharpness. For maximum speed use Phenidone type developers
such as Xtol, T-Max or T-Max RS, Microphen, DDX. These will
give you about 3/4 stop more speed than D-76. Xtol will be
silghtly finer grain, the others slightly coarser grain than
D-76. The Phenidone types also generally yeild greater Dmax
(its pretty high anyway) and somewhat straighter
characteristics.
    For finest grain use either Kodak Microdol-X or Ilford
Perceptol (they are nearly identical). These, used full
strength, will give you grain nearly as fine as the late,
lamented, Kodak Technical Pan but with considerably greater
speed and much easier control of contrast.
    Kodak has very complete developing recommendations for
T-Max film on its web site. Note that Kodak developing
charts are intended to yield contrast suitable for contact
printing and diffusion enlarging. For the right contrast to
use Grade-2 paper on condenser enlargers somewhat lower
contrast is required. Kodak recommends reducing developing
time about 20% and increasing exposure about 3/4 stop for
this contrast index value....