[rollei_list] Re: Scanning 120 film

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:23:07 -0800

I bought the scanner perhaps eight months ago. At that time Microtek was running a $300 rebate on this scanner. So the bottom line is that I got it for $1395 - $300 = $1095, which is a real bargain for this piece of equipment. I use Vue Scan software which is updated regularly. And, with Vue Scan, you can do multiple scans which produces a very high dynamic range should you have an image that has some data buried way down deep in the shadows.

My closest colleague has a Nikon 8000 and his file sizes and mine are basically the same for nearly identical images (we go on frequent photo outing days and end up with very similar images). I've had 50"x50" LightJet prints made from scans of my Rollei images and can attest that this 120tf scanner is a winner! I'll put it up against my friends Nikon 8000 any day. And speed, well, he and I have discussed speed and we find little difference between the two scanners.

If I had it to do over, I'd still buy the 120tf over a used Nikon 8000 for the same price. Pus, my negs are all cut in strips of four. The 120tf will take 6x6 negs (actually I shoot transparencies) in strips of four where the Nikon only takes strips of three.

I also have a Polaroid Sprintscan 45 Ultra. Obviously old technology but it scans 4x5 transparencies at 2800dpi and produces whopping large files that print without fault. For 35mm, I have a Konica/Minolts Elite 5400 II, which is simply fantastic!

I also have an Epson flatbed scanner that will take up to two 4x5 transparencies. It doesn't even come close to the results from my dedicated film scanners. I use it only for scanning documents.

MHO from having it and doing it.

:-)

Jim

At 06:04 PM 12/24/2007 -0500, Eric Goldstein wrote:
This is an old scanner first marketed by Polaroid at least 6 years
ago, probably more. It started life with a SCSI interface; a firewire
connection was added a bit ago. SCSI is not a problem for most
computers.

The scanner was well regarded 5 years ago; I have no idea how it fairs
against more modern technology. The software package is certainly
outdated, and it is slow by today's standards.

Eric Goldstein