[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Film

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:24:44 -0300

2011/12/17 william schillereff <pastorbill6@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I have just quite some Rollei film and it says it is made by Agfa for
> Rollei.  I thought Agfa was toes up and quit making film.  Has anyone shot
> this film and does it come close to Agfa pan of old?  What developers work
> best with it.
>
> There seems to be so much flux in the fim world because one day there is
> dirth of film and the next it seems to still be marketable?

You did not mention the specific Rollei film and then an opinion about
developers is not possible.
Some years ago when Agfa-Gevaert had problems with the photographic
film and chemical division due to a significant social security debt,
they created a separated company for the division to avoid those red
numbers in the main company performance, it was "Agfaphoto",
Agfa-Gevaert sold "Agfaphoto" a few months later, the new company
filled for bankruptcy soon and during the bankruptcy period lots of
different Agfa films were sold for photographic suppliers, Maco among
them, Maco sold some Agfa films using the brand name "Rollei", they
bought the license from the Rollei GmbH company to use the Rollei
name; Maco used and uses the name Rollei for different films from
different manufacturers and different sources.
After the bankruptcy period, a company bought the "Agfaphoto" remains
and then "Agfaphoto" still exists, they manufacture consumer
photographic digital products and 35mm consumer Agfa "Vista" films and
"Agfa APX 100" B&W film for the 35mm format only, and photographic
chemicals for minilabs too, no longer professional products.

Agfa-Gevaert still manufacture motion picture films and aerial B&W and
color films among several other films for the industry, surveillance
and health care, it's the source for some films sold by Maco using the
brand name "Rollei", this is a "map" about Agfa-Gevaert "specialty
products" current production:

http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/sitemap.jsp