[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S and Lumix LX7

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 08:38:26 -0300

Thank you John. I decided to upload that photograph to my Flickr gallery in
spite of some technically debatable point because I liked its "atmosphere"
too. The train was stopping but it had movement yet; I was in front of it
and my position helped to "stop" the train in the image. I had taken a
photograph in a different subway station (2009) with the Rolleiflex 2,8C
Xenotar at 1/25 sec and f4 and Fuji Superia ISO 100 film, camera hand-held,
however the lighting was different, it was more powerful:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/3869671166/in/dateposted-public/

I took a photograph with the 35S from a similar point (not identical)
regarding the last Lumix image I uploaded to the gallery; I preferred the
Lumix shot for that composition considering the wider angle of view (24mm
vs 40mm), however I'll scan it to do a comparison.

Carlos, your hand held Rollei film photo is great. I like the small area
of red light on the right which is balanced by the large area of dim green
light on the left. For 1/15 second at 2.8, there is no noticeable movement.
The graininess of the image suits the image well. Some may criticise the
exposure but I think that gives atmosphere.

You use your Lumix for different photos. It would be interesting to see
how the Lumix compares to the Rollei for the same shot. From the images you
have posted, I think the Lumix photos are too ‘clean’, exposure, colour
balance and depth of field. The Rollei ones have more ‘feel’ and character
to them.

Keep up the good work, I enjoy looking at your photos.

John

On 24/05/2015 11:49, "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The lighting conditions were very difficult for this shot, it was taken at
1/15sec, f2,8, camera hand-held (Rollei 35S):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17379484263/in/dateposted-public/

In the other hand, it was a nice, sunny day when I took this image (Lumix
LX7):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17822499278/in/dateposted-public/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17822499278/in/dateposted-public/>