[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35, a camera for trips

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:34:03 -0300

Hi Uwe:
              The resolution has to do with the final product. If you
want to get digital prints from your digitalized film work (or any
digital image), there is a relationship between print size-file
size-printer resolution in DPI and the print quality. If you have a
huge file, you can reduce the image resolution (resolution=image size)
to improve the image quality. This is an useful scanning and printing
calculator:
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

I currently scan my negs and slides with an Epson v700 flatbed scanner
Better results could be obtained with a rotative drum scanner or
virtual rotative drum scanner like the Hasselblad or even with some
excellent dedicated film scanner like the Nikon 9000 (I say
"excellent" because the Epson v700 is better than some cheap film
scanners), however the excellent dedicated film scanners are no longer
in production, at least it's the case for the Nikon film scanners.
Anyway, I could say a v700 is enough for most purposes even if you are
an advanced amateur. BTW, I also have a Kaiser 6x6 enlarger with
Schneider lenses waiting to be used for B&W optical prints.

For a practical example, five or six years ago we published as Rollei
users a Blurb book with our photographs. I scanned the images for the
book with my former Epson 4490 flatbed scanner, the standard  images
size were 1500x1500 pixels (about 2,3 Megapixels). The printed book
shows  decent images regarding printing quality, this is a book
preview:
http://www.blurb.com/books/229684-rollei-users