[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35, a camera for trips

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 20:12:37 -0200

Uwe:
        I use ISO 400 films most of the times with the Rollei 35, for
every purpose; sometimes ISO 200 and ISO 100 rarely. I like to shoot
indoors with natural light if possible, otherwise I use flash; I used
the Rollei 35 with tripod a few times.

The Rollei 35 has the flash hot shoe at the camera bottom and you need
to invert the camera position to take photographs with flash,
otherwise you could get ugly shadows. Anyway, using the right
supplementary hot shoe and flash bracket combo you can solve this
ergonomics issue easily. Electronic flashes were big and heavy when
the Rollei 35 was designed and F&H feared the camera top cover (that
protected some mechanisms) could suffer  damage with the flash on it.
Rollei Fototechnic added a plate on the camera top cover and changed
the flash hot shoe position for the Rollei 35 special editions made
from about 1983.

I use an old manual flash with the Rollei 35 most of the times. It´s a
little and powerful "National PE-204" from Japan, you need to estimate
the distance for the flash to adjust the camera f stop, you also need
to estimate the focusing distance  and then your estimation is useful
for the flash and for the focus.