[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 3.5 Tessar vs. "classic" 2.8 Planar which is now available for rangefinder screwmount cameras.

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:46:24 -0400

At 12:20 PM 4/21/06 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Are they way different? I have THE 3.5 ONE OF THE first made which makes it
>made in Germany. I think of THAT as THE Classic but maybe I'm the only one!
>When the camera first came out everyone was wanted to get it because of the
>LENS! Carl Zeiss Tessar 3.5!!!
>But when the 2.8 came out was it a much bigger deal? I don't remember that.
>What I mainly want to know is I think a Tessar formula has basic differences
>to a Tessar formula but is this the case in these lenses for the 35? If so
>the "fingerprint" on the Planar would be significantly different than the
>Tessar?!!?
>I'm thinking of getting the Rollei 40mm planar for my Leicas both tread and
>M and want to know who the same my results my be as the great stuff I've
>always gotten on my Rollei 35. Other than the fact I can focus accurately
>wide open which was not a Rollei specialty without a tape measure hooked up
>the the wrist strap.

Horses for courses, Mark.  The 3.5/40 CZ Tessar on the basic Rollei 35 is a
magnificent lens but it is a unique design, as is the 2.8/40 on the Rollei
35S.  There is a huge difference between these lenses and those used on the
Rollieflex TLR's.  And four decades of work on lens designs means that the
current 40mm CZ lens in LTM ought to be an even more capable lens, though,
to be honest, I am satisfied with my run of Rolleiflex cameras and lenses
and my holdings of Leitz and Leica lenses, so I will wait a while for one
to fall into my hands, as shall happen.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!