[rollei_list] Re: Ritz Camera in Chapter 11

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:49:45 -0500

Hi David,

> Camera stores used to make a small profit from selling you a camera,
> and a much bigger profit from the photofinishing.  Well, guess what?
> Both markets are disappearing from places like Ritz.

I don't believe the "photofinishing" market is disappearing, or smaller.
From what I can tell it's larger.  Most people I know have their digital
images printed at stores, like WallyMart.  I know very very few people who
print their own, and it's typically only enlargements if they do.  Not 4x6s.

> Cameras today are commodities and the consumer does not care where
> they buy them, only that they get the lowest possible price.  So, if
> Best Buy gets a better price than Ritz, the sales follow.

That's always been true for mid to low end cameras.  BestBuy doesn't sell
the mid to high level cameras...  Mail order/web has been the death of the
camera stores, not the commoditization of them.

> That is not to say that the quality Wal-Mart offers is anything like
> what someone else could offer, who tries harder to offer quality.

WallyMart offers the exact same quality or better than most any other
places, except high end pro labs.  They use Fuji Frontier processors for
their in-house stuff, and their send-out goes to regional Fuji Labs.  And,
their medium/large format goes to Dwayne's.

> Having run labs, I know this absolutely to be the case.

Well, OK, you may "know"...but have you used WallyMart?  Have you ever used
WallyMart send-out?  If not, then how do you *really* know?

Regards,

Austin