[rollei_list] Re: Quiet, Please! - LPM Image Resolution

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:28:33 -0400

> Mark,
>
> I actually know the Museum of Natural History's former head
> photographer - retired about four years ago.  She was 'eased out'
> because of her refusal to make the digital change amongst other things.

Robert the role digital plays in archiving historical relics is a thing I'm
not all that aware of but it sounds interesting.
As a small child in the 50's I lived on Long Island.
In the last month or so before Grammer school got out they always brought us
there it seemed like more than twice a year. I had the layout down cold and
I was 8 my earliest childhood memory is getting off the subway with a bunch
of kids and a teacher and seeing those crustaceans in the tile walls going
down the hallways right into the basement of the place and I learned to not
be scared to death of them.
They are there now just the same.
And I live up the street. The same street. But closer to Riverside Park.

Moving to Chicago in 1960 the teachers did the same thing
All the kids went to the dark dingy Museum of Natural History so the
teachers could smoke their cigarettes come spring. Called the Field Museum
now believe me there is no field. I think the subway didn't  quite connect
to its basement like in NY.  You knew you would emerge alive.

Mark William Rabiner