[rollei_list] Re: Quiet, Please!

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:13:17 -0700

Hi Frank.

No, you see film is flatter. While not perfectly flat it can accept
light rays at a greater angle than digital. Digital is like little
buckets and light at a sharp angle is lost. So you have lower
resolution due to less light actually getting to the sensor. Bear in
mind this is seem mostly on wide angles. Not really much in telephotos
as the rays are already more or less perpendicular. Now, as to focus
issues, that is a different story. But if you have a DSLR that is
properly adjusted it will be just as good and sometimes better than
film when it comes to focusing. The film is moving, so unless it is
pressed perfectly flat at each image it too could vary. The digital
sensor is fixed. The major issue is when they are mass produced a
small error can cause focus issues. Thanks for the link. I will have
to read that article later on. Been running a lot this week.

Peter K

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> Surely you mean the reverse?
> Film flatness has always been a potential problem, particularly with larger
> formats, and the emulsion of film is effectively "thick" compared to the
> plane on which a lens must focus for a digital sensor. Digital therefore
> becomes much more sensitive to focus errors and lens shortcomings. Film is
> much more forgiving.
> In case you missed it the first time I posted the link, there is an
> interesting essay on the difficulty of realising the full potential of
> digital systems here:-
>
> http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html
>
> Frank
>
> On 23 Sep, 2009, at 03:16, Peter K. wrote:
>
>> Film is a perfectly flat plane, but digital is really not.

> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬