[rollei_list] Re: Quiet, Please!

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:06:13 -0400

Hi Peter,

You are right about the "wells" and that a typical digital sensor has light
falloff when the angle increases off perpendicular.

You most certainly don't mean "flatter" though.  A digital imaging sensor is
made from a silicon wafer, that has an overall wafer flatness (for say an 8"
wafer) to within say 20 or so um (micrometers or microns).  Smaller sensors
(let's say 35mm sized) will have an overall flatness of 5 or less microns.

Film, on the other hand, has a typical flatness, say, for 35mm, of say
between .6mm and 1mm across the film plane (or even worse).  That's at best
about 100 times less flat that a digital image sensor of similar size.

So, digital imaging sensors are far flatter than film typically will be,
even with a vacuum back or between polished glass plates.

Regards,

Austin