[rollei_list] Re: Planar vs. Planar

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:38:55 -0500

At 06:06 PM 3/3/2010, Laurence Cuffe wrote:
>Thanks Richard, thats pretty much what I thought.
>One other comment on the planar lens design:
>My understanding is that the original Planar got a poor press because
>of internal reflections, which finally came under control when
>elements could be given anti reflective coatings. I think Kingslake
>is my source for this.

The original Planar of 1896 had six elements, so it was prone to internal reflections, though careful use of a lens shade and avoidance of contre-jour lighting helped quite a bit. Rudolph went on to design the four-element Tessar in 1902 to overcome the internal reflection problem, and the Planar became a back-bencher, though it continued to be sold by CZJ as a large-format lens for decades.

Rudolph's assistant, Hans Wandersleb, had taken over from Rudolph as Chief of Photoraphic Lens Design at Jena after World War I, and, when Smakula developed true lens coatings in 1935, Wandersleb assigned to HIS assistant, Hans Sauer, the reworking of the six-element Planar with lens coatings. Sauer worked on this for fifteen years and completely reworked the design to produce the five-element Planar of 1950. Kingslake accuses Sauer of simply assigning an old name to a completely new design, but Sauer was adamant that he just kept reworking the Planar time and again, and his surviving notes support Sauer's remarks.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!