[rollei_list] Re: Planar, Xenotar, Summicron

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:17:38 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ardeshir Mehta" <ardeshir@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:09 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Planar, Xenotar, Summicron

> On 25-May-05, at 7:24 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> In any case, all of these lenses, five element and six
>> element
>> Planar/Xenotar, and the Leitz Summicron, are all members
>> of the
>> same family of lenses.
>
> MOST instructive. Thanks.
>
> BTW: does anyone (Richard?) know to which family the
> (modern) Canon
> EF 50 mm f/1.8 lens belongs? (I'm NOT speaking of the 50
> mm f/1.4 here.)
>
> (I'd like to know since I have one of those for my EOS
> Elan 7, and it
> comes highly recommended, optically speaking, even though
> it's quite
> inexpensive).
>
> Cheers.

   I don't know. If its on a web site somewhere I will look
at it. However (a big one) Kingslake points out that in
these days of computer design some modern lenses are
difficult or impossible to classify as being derived from
one of the classics. Even some old lenses can be thought of
as either of two designs or maybe more. For instance, the
classic aerial survey lens the Zeiss Topogon, designed by
Robert Richter, four elements all deeply curved meniscus. Is
it a double Gauss lens or is it a compounded Goerz Hypergon?
Well, its really both. The Hypergon, for those not familiar
with it, is an extremely wide angle lens with coverage of
over 130 degrees, designed in 1900 by Emil von Hough, the
designer of the Dagor. This lens consists of two very
steeply curved meniscus elements on either side of a stop.
The elements are very thin and the outer surfaces nearly
form a sphere. The lens has a very flat field and very
little astigmatism, and low coma and distortion due to its
symmetry. However it is not corrected for spherical or
chromatic aberration so can be operated only at very small
stops, less than f/20. The fall of of illumination is even
more than the rule of thumb cos^4 theta so the lens was
equipped with a spinning obstructive stop to even it out.
The Topogon has four elements, the outer ones positive thin
meniscus as in the Hypergon but the inner ones are negative
meniscus lenses as in a double Gauss type. The additional
elements allow it to be corrected for spherical and
chromatic aberration. The Bausch & Lomb Metrogon has an
additional element which further corrects the spherical.
What kind of lenses are the Topogon and Metrogon? As above
they can be thought of as either double meniscus or as
double Gauss lenses.
   There are more difficult cases in some modern lenses, for
instance, few zoom lenses can not be classified as being
derived from any of the older types, they are just their own
thing.
   What is interesting is to learn how the various
aberrations are corrected in the different types and what
tricks the designers found to correct them. For instance,
one trick used by Bertele in the Ernostar and Sonnar was to
use thick, low index, sections instead of air spaces. The
advantage of this was the elimination of flare while
retaining some of the benifits of the air space. Paul Rudolf
found a way of using a cemented interface to vary the
dispersion of the cemented pair virtually at will without
having any effect on other optical characteristics. He used
this trick, called a "buried surface" in the original Planar
to get the effect of a glass type which was not obtainable.
Bertele uses the same trick in the f/1.5 Sonnar. Another
trick, already mentioned, is the splitting of a strong
element up into two or more weaker elements. Simply
splitting them reduces some aberrations which is helpful
when the angles of incidence in the lens become large as in
very fast lenses or wide angle lenses. Because most of these
tricks can be adapted to any design they are not really a
basis for classifying a lens even though the trick may have
originated with a particular type or be characteristic of
it.
  Computer analysis of designs has made a huge difference in
design technique. The method of evaluating a design is the
trace rays of light through it. About three rays are
necessary to get any idea of what its doing. By hand methods
a single ray trace will take perhaps half an hour. If a hand
calculator is used this can be reduced to perhaps five
minutes. Any of the common computer optical design programs
(OSLO, Zemax, etc.,) operating on a fast PC, can make
millions of tray traces in a fraction of a second. Its
possible to get a very complete analysis of a prospective
design very quickly and to derive presentations of the
information which were not practically possible before
computers. The ray tracing is so fast that the computer
program can be set to vary certain parameters to optimise
the design, but as Kingslake and Warren Smith point out the
program can't always tell when it is getting into
impractical areas so it needs human guidance.
   This is not to say that all old designs were less than
optimum. Brian Caldwell, a well known lens designer and the
author of the program LensVIEW, says than many of the old
Zeiss designs are so close to optimum that computer
optimisation, even with changes in glass to modern glass,
does not improve them significantly. This is partly due to
very careful calculation but also because the old method of
design was to evaluate the presciption mathematically until
it looked pretty close and then build a model of it.
Optimisation was then done by poking at the actual lens
until it performed as well as could be gotten.
   Some advantages of modern design are less significant
than might be thought. For instance aspherical surfaces have
been around for a long time. Zeiss used them in some
experimental lenses included in the survey of lenses called
the Zeiss Index. An asphere can be duplicated by several
spherical surfaces. The advantage of the asphere is
simplification of the lens. Modern manufacturing processes
allow economical production of aspheres. In the past each
one had to be hand figured.
  Another advantage of the last sixty years has been the
avialability of glass with very high indices of refraction
and relativly low dispersion, or low index-high dispersion
glass. All glass bends light. The amount it bends is related
to the Index of Refraction. The idex is the bending of light
compared to a vacuum, which has an idex of 1. Actually air
is so close to 1 than it is usually considered to have an
index of 1 except for the most precise work. The index of
refraction is also the ratio of the speed of light in the
medium to the speed in a vacuum.
   Now, things would be fine if the value of the index of
refraction a constant. It isn't: it varies with wavelength,
generaly going up as the wavelength decreases. The effect is
known as dispersion.  This is why a prism splits white light
into a spectrum. The same effect is produced by simple
lenses. In fact, two prisms, base to base, are an elementary
positive lens. This effect is known as chromatic aberration.
It is corrected by combining a positive element with a given
amount of dispersion with a weaker negative element with
abuot the same amount of dispersion. If the dispersions are
nearly the same they will cancel. However, in order for this
conbination to have any power the positive element (assuming
we want a achromatic positive lens) must have more power
than the negative lens. Practically, this means combining a
positive lens with a high index but relatively low
dispersion with negative lens with lower index but the same
dispersion. Before Abbey and Schott came up with the Barium
glasses known as Jena glass, in the late nineteenth century,
all glasses followed a line where increasing index was
accompanied by increasing dispersion. This meant that
positive and negative lenses had to be assembled in a
certain way to cancel the chromatic aberration. The
disadvantage of this is that the reverse combination of
positive and negative was needed to correct astigmatism. So
that it was impossible (they thought) to make a lens of old
glass that was both chromatically correct and free of
astimatism. As it turned out, this was not true but a
chromatically correct anastigmat of old glass was not
produced until the 1920's by K. Martin of Busch (the Omnar).
Even so the invention of the new type glasses furthered
optical design enormously. The range of glasses was
increased even more by the development of rare-earth glasses
at the United States National Burea of Standards beginning
in the early 1930's and developed by Eastman Kodak in the
late 1930's.
   By increasing the index of a glass, especially if the
dispersion can be kept low, the curvature of the surfaces
for a given amount of power can be reduced. Since several
aberrations are proportional in some way to the angle of
incidence of light at the lens surfaces the glass
automatically reduces the aberrations. This allow either an
improvement in performance with a given amount of complexity
or a duplication of performance with a simpler system.

I've written too much.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA