[rollei_list] Re: Planar 120/2 for the SL66

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 07:47:25 -0300

2010/12/30  <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I think the 40mm lens might be larger and heavier than the 120/2 lens if
> that is true the front standard should support the lens. I have used the
> camera unsupported on my 500mm and 750mm telephotos with out a problem.

According the true SL 66 "bible", "The Rolleiflex SL66 and SLX way" by
L.A. Mannheim, the CZ Planar 2/120 HFT for the SL66 weighs about
810gr, the Distagon  4/40mm lens weighs about 1285gr (43 ounces) and
then the Planar 2/120 weight couldn't be a problem for the SL 66 since
the Distagon 4/40 is one of the most used WA lens for the camera. In
fact my standard Distagon 4/80 with the additional Compur shutter
weighs about 638 gr. and the SL66 is very comfortable with it, this
lens overall length is 85mm (3 3/8 inches)  and the Planar  2/120 is
87mm.

I don't know why the item 160499618827 seller says the Planar 2/120 is
an unique lens, that only one was made etc., there is no doubt it is a
lens rarer than others but it is included among the regular lenses for
the SL 66 and Mannheim's book has a complete description about it and
he did not mention something special, he writes "The lens is
comparetively compact for its focal length and speed..." (page 243).
The Rollei Report 2 _third edition_ shows a photograph about Claus
Prochnow, one of the main SL66 designers, talking with L.A. Mannheim,
the SL66 "bible" author, in London in 1969. The Report 2 does not
mention the CZ Planar 2/120 HFT for the SL66, (perhaps it was not
included in the official prices lists and catalogs he used for
reference), however Mannheim's book has this lens general description
with the basic technical data in the page 243 and in the page 584 HFT
lenses table.