[rollei_list] Re: Planar 120/2 for the SL66

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:28:24 -0300

> Maybe it would be interesting to ask the seller a question based on the
> above info.
>
> I've seen a lot of incorrect and misleading info come from Hong Kong and
> China in recent years.
>
> DAW

After a little research and to refresh my memory, I'm convinced now
the seller is right or very close to be right. The SL66 Planar f2/120
was thought for photojournalism work, sport, theatre, any situation
with poor light, portrait etc., it would be a pretty "popular" lens
among SL66 pro users if it was a successful lens produced for the
market but it did not happen.

This lens was included in the HFT lenses program about 1972/1973 and
appeared in brochures and SL66 instruction manuals at the time, it's
the reason it also was described by L.A. Mannheim in his book "The
Rolleiflex SL66 and SLX way" written and published at the time too
(published 1975) according I commented previously, however it looks
like this lens  was never manufactured for the market really,
something happened that only a prototype is known today and '70s
brochures and descriptions and manuals are based on this prototype
very probably.

About five years ago there was a thread on the SL66 in a Rollei forum
and the Planar 2/120 was mentioned, nobody saw this lens and Bob
Shell, former authorized Rollei dealer wrote he saw it in some
brochures but he never saw it included in a prices list ( like CP).
Facts are that this lens is not mentioned in the lenses program for
the SL66 E, SL66 SE and SL66 X (I have official brochures and catalogs
about the lenses ), cameras made from 1982 and 1986. Several new or
improved lenses were introduced for the SL66 along the years during
the SL 66 decades of production, however something was wrong for the
CZ Planar f2/120mm HFT.

In the other hand, a lens with almost identical diagram and features
was made by CZ for the Rolleiflex 6000 cameras, the Planar 2/110mm HFT
(T* multicoating really if made by CZ, but labeled HFT), this was/ is
a successful lens and there is a version for the Hasselblad 500
cameras too; it could be the f2 and 120mm focal length combo did not
work fine...

I uploaded to one of my blogs both lenses diagrams with some comments:
http://itarphotos.blogspot.com/2010/12/rollei-tele-planar-diagrams.html