[rollei_list] Re: On This Day in 1909

  • From: Ferdi Stutterheim <fstutterheim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:28:43 +0200

Frank,

Present day VWs are based on Audi technology rather than Audi's are based on VW technology. We could ask Marc to check the boot but I am quite sure he will not find a air cooled boxer engine at the rear end of his car. VW's sales and technology were dead in the water and they desperately needed Audi to bring new life into VW.

My parents stayed loyal to the VW brand all the way for over 40 years. They nearly refused to speak to me again when I bought a Fiat 128 in the mid Seventies. I do not remember them to have been passengers in that car ever. Things improved a bit when we upgraded to Peugeot cars. On scarce occasions my mother travelled in those cars as a passenger. She admitted they had a much smoother ride than the Leopard Panzer like ride of their VW Golf (not sure about the model name in the U.S.) but even after a 50 mile drive she would not believe our little Pug was not going to break down every other 5 miles and was not going to be decayed after one Winter. We had our 305 for nearly 8 years and my wife still drives an old 206.

Just some memories.

Ferdi.
----
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 16-jul-2009, om 17:48 heeft FRANK DERNIE het volgende geschreven:

Audi were not that successful and the brand name was bought by VW many years ago. Today Audis are no more Audi than a modern Voigtlander lens is Voigtlander ;-) Even less so in fact since at least the CV lenses are unique designs whereas each model of Audi sits on a the same VW platform as do the sister Seat and Skoda.
Frank