[rollei_list] Re: OT (sort of) - 120 Roll Film framing dilemma

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:59:32 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 8:08 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT (sort of) - 120 Roll Film framing dilemma

I have come across an interesting dilemma with regard to 120 roll film.

First, I will tell you of my discovery and I am asking if this can be considered true: the frame numbers on the backing paper are universal and if the tab is on the left of the roll's start then the frame numbers denoting 6x9 cm are on top. Otherwise, if the tab is on the right then the numbers denoting 4.5x6 cm are on top. The numbers denoting 6x6 cm frames are always
in the middle.

Second, I don't think these frame numbers have always been in the same place. I recently purchased a circa 1930's 6x9 cm roll film back for my Voigtlander Bergheil 9x12 cm camera. The back is such that the film can only be threaded one way to work. The roll has to be placed with the tab to the left so the 6x9 cm numbers are on top. However, the red window to read the numbers is located on the roll's bottom where the 4.5x6 numbers are. This is definitely a 6x9 cm film back and I have looked at this thing enough to conclude the roll can only go in this way to work. Thus, the 6x9 frame numbers probably migrated from the bottom of the roll to the top sometime
since the 1930's.  Can anyone verify this?

Rob

AFAIK the numbering convention has never changed but I am not sure that numbers for all three formats were always printed on the backing. For instance, there are cameras with two red windows in line so that for the alternative smaller frame the same number was wound from one window to the next. Must have been confusing. In a few cameras, notably some Rollei cameras, there is a red window on the bottom that is used to set the starting point where frame counting is automatic. I don't know if this applies to the Bergheil.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx