[rollei_list] OT (sort of) - 120 Roll Film framing dilemma

  • From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:08:16 -0400

I have come across an interesting dilemma with regard to 120 roll film.

First, I will tell you of my discovery and I am asking if this can be
considered true: the frame numbers on the backing paper are universal and if
the tab is on the left of the roll's start then the frame numbers denoting
6x9 cm are on top.  Otherwise, if the tab is on the right then the numbers
denoting 4.5x6 cm are on top.  The numbers denoting 6x6 cm frames are always
in the middle.

Second, I don't think these frame numbers have always been in the same
place.  I recently purchased a circa 1930's 6x9 cm roll film back for my
Voigtlander Bergheil 9x12 cm camera.  The back is such that the film can
only be threaded one way to work.  The roll has to be placed with the tab to
the left so the 6x9 cm numbers are on top.  However, the red window to read
the numbers is located on the roll's bottom where the 4.5x6 numbers are.
This is definitely a 6x9 cm film back and I have looked at this thing enough
to conclude the roll can only go in this way to work.  Thus, the 6x9 frame
numbers probably migrated from the bottom of the roll to the top sometime
since the 1930's.  Can anyone verify this?

Rob