[rollei_list] Re: OT film advice, film vs. digital

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:48:24 +0100

The ability to do selective focus on the Canon EOS 1Ds is comparable to MF when lens speed is taken into account. The sensor is 24x36mm and with several f1.4 lenses selective focus is something I use all the time. The dynamic range is about the same as slide film, so the same caution is required. The teensy little digicams with sensors smaller than a little finger nail are a different story altogether of course!

Frank

On 17 Jul, 2007, at 21:13, Gene Johnson wrote:

for me it's not the resolution.  Don't care so much.  it's dynamic
range, it's texture, it's ....personality.  Digital images have a
persistent sameness to them.  Especially with medium and large format
film, it's the ability to use selective focus more effectively.  The
sensors in digital cams are very small, and even portraits are many
sensor lengths away. For nudes and still lifes, these are two very
different media.