[rollei_list] Re: OT: Replacing Mercury Cells in a Nikon F

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 17:34:26 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2008 6:20 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Replacing Mercury Cells in a Nikon F

I've finally been able to compare mercury and zinc-air cells. I found that the mercury cells in my Luna-Pro were still good. So, I made tests using both mercury cells and zinc-air cells in both the Luna-Pro and in the Nikon F. I used a Sekonic Studio De Luxe as a control since it is a selenium cell meter and will make both incident and reflected light measurements. Past experience has shown close agreement between the Sekonic and Luna-Pro for both types of measurement. The Nikon is a through the lens reflected light meter. The results in short are that both the Nikon and Luna-Pro read the same with both types of cells within my ability to control the conditions. The Sekonic ageed with both. Since the Nikon is the only one of these meters that has a known field of view (approximately that of the lens) I was careful to use a target with a large area and uniform light. This is a house accross the street from me recently painted a sort of off-white. I also checked by reading another house with multiple colors. I also made incident readings with the Sekonic and Luna-Pro. These were identical. There were slight differences in the reflected light readings but they were less than a stop. The Nikon fell in with both meters. The Zinc-Air cells in the Nikon have been unsealed for about two weeks. It is too short a time to know what the life of the zinc-air cells will be. Previous experience with mercury cells shows the life in either the Luna-Pro or Nikon to be several years. My conclusion is that zinc-air cells with a simple adaptor made of a rubber O-ring is sufficient to replace mercury cells in these two devices. Since the Nikon has a contact on the side which must touch the case of the cell I wrapped a small amount of aluminum foil on the upper O-ring to make connection with both this contact and the body of the cell. This seems to work. The battery check indication on both Nikon and Luna-Pro reads exactly the same with either type of cell. It is possible that some extension of cell life could be gotten for the zinc-air cells by plugging up some of the ventillation holes in the cell. I've not tried this. I want to see what sort of life these cells have as they are. The shelf life of the cells if kept sealed is supposed to be at least three years. The zinc-air cells I used are Size 675, sold for use in hearing aids. I got mine at a Radio Shack store. They came in a package of eight cells and were pretty cheap. The O-rings are a standard size and came from an assortment I bought at a hardware store so long ago that I have no idea which store or how much they cost. I think they are No.10 size.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx