[rollei_list] Re: OT: B&W Filters in digitial photography

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:00:28 -0400

Yes, Jan. Shoot in color then transform to B&W in Photoshop.
BTW I like Photoshop. It gives one a lot more control than the darkroom.
What I find lacking is the glow that silver embedded in paper gives. Ink on paper is a poster-making process.

A master photoshop printer, however, can make prints look pretty darn good. And what we want are pretty darn good prints, regardless whether they come from the darkroom or an inkjet printer.

Beyond Photoshop, it's good to have Imageprint. It has profiles for all the different papers and allows you to get better results. The bad thing is that both PS and IP are expensive. but not as expensive as maintaining a Porsche or a horse.

Top of the day to you, Jan--Doug

On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Doug,

I suppose you meant "Shoot in color" then transform to B&W. I don't have Photoshop (try to avoid the beast) only Photoshop Elements. Looking at Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture right now as a tool for moderate photo editing.

From the discussion I gather that only a UV or Polarizer makes sense on a digitial camera so I can part with my Contax 72mm yellow and orange filters...

Cheers,
Jan