[rollei_list] Re: OT: B&W Filters in digitial photography

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:03:48 -0400

At 09:00 AM 7/14/2010, Douglas Nygren wrote:

>Beyond Photoshop, it's good to have Imageprint. It has profiles for all
>the different papers and allows you to get better results.
>The bad thing is that both PS and IP are expensive. but not as
>expensive as maintaining a Porsche or a horse.

Douglas

That is a flip and bogus answer. I already HAVE all of the gear for a darkroom from King Concept processing reels to Kindermann tanks to APO-Rodagon enlarging lenses for my Beseler 23CII and a Leitz V-35 as well. I have print driers. I have trays. I have lots of glass bottles. I do not need to buy a single thing.

But with digital, I have to reinvest substantially to obtain slightly poorer prints than I can produce with the darkroom. To improve digital print quality, I would have to upgrade my printer (currently an Epson Stylus Photo R200), invest in fancy inks and fancy papers, and dump $1000 or more in software. And I have never been able to figure out PhotoShop, while darkroom work comes quite intuitively to me.

PhotoShop works for you, and good for you. But it is not the answer for everyone, nor is digital.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!