[rollei_list] Re: OT: B&W Filters in digital...Pola filters

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:52:19 +0100

Hi Carlos,

True, polarising filters do change the image in a what is actually in the
image. You are absolutely right. Very obviously no possibility of recovering
the part of the image hidden by reflection, as you write.

Do not forget, however, the original question was whether one would need to use
green, yellow, orange, etc. filters used in B&W film photography to get their
effect in B&W digital photography. Many subsequent responses have drifted away
from the original thread (as usual on the internet...)

In the case under discussion (ie the original query) I am sure that on a
non-clipped digital colour file the effect of any filter on the
converted-to-black-and-white version can be produced to an acceptable level of
consistency (ie at least as good as the effect of the same filter on different
B&W films, or at different exposures). It would probably be easy to exactly
replicate the effect mathematically as long as the precise filter
characteristic is known, though I have no idea whether Photoshop has an easy
way to do this.

Whether one would actually want to do this rather than use a filter is up to
the user!

cheers,
Frank