[rollei_list] OT: Avus Aventures - Rollex 6x9 back

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:23:39 -0400

Richard,

My 4x5 tank has the adjustable cage. It came in original box with instruction sheet and a warning sheet to agitate gently, just as you said. (all this together with a another small 35mm Nikor tank in the original box). The 4x5 tank has the steel band and I already found out that the cage is difficult to adjust and the top could slide if not tightened securely.

A lot of thought & detail went into this tank, so there is a lot that could cause problems in pitch dark. I will sacrifice the first piece of Efke sheet film to make sure everything works properly in the light. Since the tank holds 12 film sheets it would be nice to get 6-8 additional Voigtlander backs to make it worth the procedure.

I am used to leaking tanks. Even my Jobo plastic tank always leaked a little. I usually process in the kitchen sink so can wash off any leakage immediately.
Jan

On Aug 29, 2009, at 1:07 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
Nikor made a couple of different sheet film tanks, is
this the one with the adjustable cage?  If so use a sheet of
exposed or scrap film to adjust the cage before using the
tank. Nikor did not notch the uprights so the adjustable
part can slip out of position. If the cage is not set
exactly it will make loading the tank difficult plus, if its
too far open, the film can slip out during processing.
     The complete tank should have a spring steel serrated
(saw tooth)band to go around the center of the cage to hold
the film in place. They are sometimes missing. A thick
rubber band may work in its place.
     I have one of these tanks which I use for 4x5. Its not
hard to load if adjusted properly but practice in the light
first. I find it can produce surge marks on the film if
"small tank" agitation is used so I agitate for 10 seconds
once a minute. For some reason that pretty much eliminates
the surge marks. As with the Nikor roll film tanks the caps
and lids were individually fitted. If you have an original
set you are OK, otherwise it will tend to leak. Note that
even properly fitting tanks can leak a little.
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA