[rollei_list] Re: OT: Avus Aventures - Rollex 6x9 back

  • From: J Patric Dahlén <jenspatricdahlen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:28:36 +0000

> From: Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx
> I just took the first Ektar 100 out of my Rollex 6x9 back for the
> Voigtlander Avus.  I realized that given how the film has to be wound
> over the pressure plate with the numbers showing in the little red
> slide window on the outside, the film ends up being wound the
> opposite way from the Rollei, with cover paper on the inside, thus
> the endpaper is inverted.

No, that shouldn't be. The winding key should be turned clockwise, and the film
will be wound normally. I just checked my Rollex back to be sure.

>   The groundglass is very dim and I have e-mailed Bill Maxwell for a
> brighter solution.  He called back immediately, but I am afraid his
> custom-made bright screens will cost three times the value of the
> camera plus backs... I better wait until I know everything works and
> the uncoated 3.5/13,5 cm Tessar is a good performer.  I do need a
> 42mm slide on lens hood and yellow or orange filter.

3,5 Tessar? I find the 4,5 Tessar on my Avus (it originally had a bad Skopar)
easy to focus, and even my 6,8 lenses.

Is the ground glass clean? A little dishwashing liquid and good water can make
a big difference. I made new focusing screens for my Avus and Bergheil cameras,
and used old glass plates that I grinded with 800 grit silicon carbide. The
results were screens with finer grain and a half stop brigther than the
original screens.

The last Avus I bought was an early one with a smaller shutter and a 6,3
Voigtar. I swapped the lens for a Steinheil Orthostigmat 6,8/13,5 cm in a
Compur (size "0" I think) and was impressed. A sharp and contrasty little lens.

/Patric

Med Windows Live kan du ordna, redigera och dela med dig av dina foton.
http://www.microsoft.com/sverige/windows/windowslive/products/photo-gallery-edit.aspx