[rollei_list] Re: OT: Antiques Roadshow... Photography Edition

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:41:18 -0500

At 12:10 PM 7/28/2010, you wrote:
Authenticity will never be proved. And I doubt that legal ownership, including reproduction rights, will be either, but that varies markedly from country to country and even state to state...

Eric Goldstein

I have no clear thoughts about ownership, reproduction rights, etc., but it would seem that at least some of the negatives should link to known prints sold by Adams. It may be that since they appear to all be on glass plates they are so old that no commercial use was made of them and no validated prints exist, so Eric may be right about the Authenticity issue.

I have strong memories of a story told by a friend and his wife who visited Adams (when that was allowed) and they ordered a print from him. He had some assistant haul out a sample print and the negative. I have seen the print but don't remember which one it is. It has now passed on to his son or daughter in the San Fransisco area.

To continue their purchasing experience, the negative was attached to a printing instruction sheet which the assistant would use to make the print for sale. (Dodging, burning, cropping, not sure what else). It thus seems that to be declared authentic the package would have to include a negative as well as that instruction sheet.

Don Williams