[rollei_list] Re: More R...35mm Pro cameras, Pentax

  • From: Pramod Kotwal <pramodkotwal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

Elias,

The original Exacta was made in Dresden.

It was a formidable competitor to Leica with its range finder doctrine.

Exacta was a 35 mm camera, just like the Leica, the first SLR and a true
modular camera to boot. It had interchangable lenses and interchangable
viewfinders.

As opposed to Leica's screw mount, Exacta had a bayonet mount.

You just removed the viewfinder with a pentaprism and inserted a waist level
viewfinder in its place. There were different screens for the waist level
viewfinder as well, including one with a fresnel lense.

The shutter was a cloth shutter with an adjustable slit that determined the
exposure. It went to 1/1000.

Several excellent lenses were available, including a fantastic fully automatic
Tessar 2.8 and other manual wide angle and tele lenses.
The film was wound in the opposite direction (to what is standard now)and a
most unusual feature was a built in cutter that allowed you to cut the film in
the camera. That way you could remove the exposed part of the film and leave
the unexposed part of the film in the casette. It was supposed to be for
journalists who wanted their pictures in a hurry and did not want to wait till
the whole fim was exposed.

After the war Dresden was in the DDR, the part that was controlled by the
Soviet Union. Carl Zeiss, who used to be in Jena, also later in the DDR, owned
the Tessar. But after the war they moved to Oberkochen in West Germany and
Exacta could only call their Tessar T 2.8 but not Tessar.

Exacta lost the connection to the West and missed out on the post war economic
boom. They were very popular in the East block but that was no great help. The
state owned company lived on for a long time. They even made a low end Exacta
called Exa but it never cought on.

I own an Exacta with a T 2.8 lens, one wide angle lens, several filters, both
viewfinders, extension rings and a number of filters. I enjoyed using it for
many years but have not used for a long time. It is kind of heavy.

For a short while Exacta was even made in West Germany. It looked a bit better
but it was too late.

Just musings about bye-gone days.
Should I enjoy being called a masochist?
I suppose there are worse things to be accused of.

I enjoyed our "field trip" to the MFA.

Pramod