[rollei_list] Re: Karl Heitz, RIP (Query: Mechanical Cameras)

  • From: "Jim Somberg" <jimsberg_04@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:52:06 -0700

Was a pleasure to read you in those wonderful old days and very wonderful,
indeed, to know of that Publisher's new interests at Wal Mart. Seems that the
digital revolution as practiced in the halls of journalism has become the
guillotine for film photography, including the demise of the neighborhood
camera store. Too bad our Publisher can't find a job at Wal Mart selling
digital cameras! Interestingly, my problem with digital photography is its
incredible "fidgetiness" and seemingly unnecessary complications. On the other
hand, the users of digital cameras believe that the three basic camera controls
of shutter speed, aperature, and focus are far too complicated. I always
considered them to be easily understood and useful for creative purposes. I
wonder how many of the current digital cameras will be useable in  20, 30, or
40 years, whether due to cheap electronic assembly or obsolete software, as are
my Rollei TLRs, Leica IIIa, or Nikon FE today. But will there be film available
in 10 or 30 years?