[rollei_list] Re: Karl Heitz, RIP (Query: Mechanical Cameras)

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:11:46 -0400

On Tuesday, April 12, 2005, at 07:48  PM, Jim Somberg wrote:

> I have only been on this list for a few days but is this the Bob
> Shell, formerly of Shutterbug fame, who left probably because of the
> creeping digital camera silliness, which is mostly about computers and
> programs, and which has by now pretty much destroyed the magazine??

Yes, I'm the Bob Shell who ran Shutterbug for more than twenty years
and made it into a serious magazine about photography.  But, no, I
didn't leave because of the digital stuff.  I was actually an early
adapter of digital.  I was removed as Editor due to disagreements with
a new Publisher over the direction the magazine ought to move in.  This
was at the end of 2000.  The new Publisher wanted more and more digital
coverage and was bored by articles about classic cameras.  I wanted to
serve our core readership.  So he fired me.  Interestingly, that
Publisher is now working in the garden department of Wal-Mart in
Titusville!

Since you apparently dislike digital, you probably have not seen my
recent articles.  These days I am Technical Editor for Digital Camera
Magazine, and write product reviews in each issue.  I'd love to write
some about traditional photography, but no one seems to want me to do
that.

Bob