[rollei_list] Re: Karl Heitz, RIP (Query: Mechancial Cameras)

  • From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:25:20 -0600

Sad to read that he was treated poorly by both Alpa and Gitzo; Alpa's demise
was certainly no fault of Karls'. Interesting that in spite of these
difficulties that he ended up with all of the excess parts and inventory
(thank god).

Doug

I was not aware of Karl's death.  It saddens me.  I got to know him
back in the early 70s when my camera shop was an Alpa dealer.  He was
gracious and had an old world charm.  When I went to the major photo
trade shows I used to always make time to visit with him.  He was
treated rather shabbily by Alpa when they pulled distribution from him
and gave it to TAG based on promises of much higher sales volume that
never materialized, and later by Gitzo which he had made into a major
product in the USA.

Unless he has also died, I would assume that it is Dominic who is
taking over the business.

Bob