[rollei_list] Re: Karl Heitz, RIP (Query: Mechancial Cameras)

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:53:12 -0400

On Tuesday, April 12, 2005, at 05:53  PM, Allen Zak wrote:

> For a time, his print ads for Gitzo  featured a pair of women's legs in
> the foreground framing a tripod, borderline suggestive (maybe not so
> borderline).  My wife was quite offended, as was MS. Magazine, and
> strongly recommended a boycott.  By that time I was already a Gitzo
> owner and didn't have to take sides, but I did raise the matter with
> Mr. Heitz.  His response was, in essence, favorable to whatever moved
> merchandise.

Gitzo, properly pronounced Jheet-so, is French, after all.  That ad
didn't originate with Karl, but with Gitzo in Paris.  They probably
thought offending MS magazine was hilarious.  The ad was a knockoff
parody of a poster for the movie Barbarella.  I was a Gitzo dealer in
those days and they sent me a big poster of the ad and I put it up in
my shop.  No one complained.

Bob