[rollei_list] Re: Ikonta Film Spacing was Fuji/Bessa folder rangefinder.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:17:19 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: Jan Decher
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:45 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Ikonta Film Spacing was Fuji/Bessa folder rangefinder.

Bill,

The negative overlap is the achilles heal of the more advanced Super Ikontas with todays films. Here is what Henry Scherer wrote to me after he had done a full overhaul of my Synchro Compur BX (1 1/2 year wait!):

"...There is one thing about your camera that needs to be changed to accomodate modern times. When the automatic film advance mechanism was designed, film was a lot thicker than today. This means, if the film is loaded in accordance with the original directions the frame spacing will be off and you will loose at least one frame. Years ago I experimented with some old modern type film and developed a loading method that provides slightly uneven film spacing, but 12 frames per roll. I've attached a picture of how the film should be lined up in the camera in order for the automatic film advance system to be synchronized with the modern roll of film. Just load the film and advance it until the arrows are precisely aligned as shown in the attached picture, then close and lock the camera door. Next, flip the automatic film release button to the left so that the red dot changes to silver, and then rotate the film advance knob until it stops at frame "

There is more on this problem (and suggested "compensations") on his site: http://www.zeisscamera.com/articles_spacing.shtml

I actually never got the film spacing issue under control and it bothered me so much, since I wanted to shoot chromes at least occasionally, that I sold the camera.

I hope my "new" much simpler 521/16 will not have this problem.

Jan
It seems to me that the Super Ikonta B shoots 11 pictures per roll but the BX, the one with the meter on top, shoots 12 pictures. What was different between these models?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA