[rollei_list] Re: Ikonta Film Spacing was Fuji/Bessa folder rangefinder.

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:24:28 +0200

Hi Marvin,

I'm not Mark, nor do I play him on the internet, but I asked Henry Scherer the same thing when I was looking for a 2/85 Sonnar.

Here's what he had to say:

Quote:

There are two 85mm f2.0 lenses. The first was made after the war in Jena for the postwar Contax IIa. It was made in very small numbers and is a T coated lens. It is a very great lens being very sharp. The second was made in West Germany after the partition of Germany. It was advertised by Zeiss to be a portrait lens, meaning it's soft, and it certainly is. If you want a
soft  85 this will be easy because many were made.  It will also be
relatively easy to find one in almost mint condition because they were not used being so soft. If you want a sharp 85 that looks good this is going to be difficult and you will have to be very patient. There are not a lot of the earlier Jena T lenses, they got used a lot and marked up because they are so sharp and so good looking ones are extremely rare. It has taken me as
long as a year to find a suitable postwar Jena T 85 2.0 Sonnar.

The sharpest lens ever made for the Contax rangefinder mount is the
postwar Jena T 85mm f2.0 Sonnar.  It is also an APO design and so does
very well with modern color film. They are hard to find because not a lot
of them were made.  They are hard to find in beautiful condition because
they took such great pictures and got used a lot. But they are definitely
worth the work and patience required to find.

I ended up waiting quite a bit, but ended up with the postwar Jena T version. No complaints, well worth the wait. Sharp as a tack.

Cheers,
Thor

On 10. april. 2009, at 01.40, <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Mark,
I would like to buy an Opton Sonnar 85, to mount on my Leica M. I would like to ask if there is a big difference in quality between the post War East German badged Carl Zeiss Jena 85 and the afore mentioned Zeiss version.
I know you are an expert in this area so your comment is appreciated.
Marvin.