[rollei_list] Re: FM2 meets my needs was Not My Definition of a Thoroughbred (Re: Nikon vs. Leica)

  • From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:53:27 -0600

        -----Original Message-----
        From: rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rollei_list-
bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:28 AM
        To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: [rollei_list] FM2 meets my needs was Not My Definition of a
Thoroughbred (Re: Nikon vs. Leica)

        I have perhaps 8-10 of the FM FM2 FM2n FM2T breed and a couple F and
F2 bodies as well. For a number of years in the mid 1990's I shot with
Leica R cameras (which I relaced with my Nikon FMs)...I also own M
gear.

        The M is silky smooth, truly a jewel to use.

        The FM FM2 et al is not quite as silky smooth but for the price of a
$1200 or so used M6 I can pick up a HALF DOZEN FMs or 2-3 FM2s and      some
awesome glass...

        Probably opening a whole new discussion here but from REAL WORLD
EXPERIENCE I have found my Nikon FM/FM2/FM2T/F/F2 gear as reliable in   the
field as my M gear and more reliable than my R gear AND in my   experience
in real world shooting the Nikon glass is as god as the         Leica glass
and there is a heck of a lot more of it and it is a     fraction of the
cost...

I have nothing but praise for Nikon and agree wholeheartedly in regards to
the quality of their cameras and lenses. I also willingly abandoned the "R"
cameras and concentrated on Nikon instead. In fact, I have even put a lot of
time behind a couple of FG's, just for the size/weight convenience and never
had a failure with either, and these are considered lower-tier cameras. I
did suffer one accident with an FE2 that may or may not have occurred had I
been using an F2 instead; with a 300/2.8 attached I got bumped in a crowd
and that resulted in the lens mount flange becoming damaged on the camera.
From that incident I always felt that the smaller bodies were a little light
duty for the mass of the larger lenses.

I refuse to argue lens quality on any list, this one included (but really
get a guilty sort of enjoyment when others do), because it is so completely
subjective and the so-called "data" can be manipulated to suit many
arguments. I remain firmly convinced that Nikon has produced many first-rate
lenses; far too many to even list. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:)

        Cheers,
        Doug