[rollei_list] Re: FM2 meets my needs was Not My Definition of a Thoroughbred (Re: Nikon vs. Leica)

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:07:27 -0400

When the Columbus Dispatch was still using film, Nikon FM/FEs were
issued to the photo staff, who proceeded to trash them in an average of
2 years.  The F/F2s previously used lasted longer, but factoring
repairs, it was a wash.  But PJ use, especially for big city dailies,
is particularly hard on equipment.  My own FM2s are still cranking
after 20 years of moderate use ( average 300 rolls of film per year)
and have required little or no service in all that time.  In that
respect yhey have done as well or better for me than any other cameras,
including Leica, Hasselblad and (ghasp!) Rollei.

As far as lens quality; some years ago some friends and I spent an
afternoon "testing" our respective gear by photographing a variety of
subjects in different light conditions, using Kodachrome, and comparing
the results.  Lenses involved were Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Leica.
While there were slight "character" differences, we all agreed the
results were about equally good except for the Leica 50 mm Summicron,
which exhibited the famous "3 D" effect at wider apertures.  It was
enough to convince me that Leica lenses (that one, at least) had a
special quality, but not enough to actually go out and re-outfit
because of it.  I have used Leica now and then, always enjoyed them and
got great results, but the distinctions are too subtle for the cost.
If I really need to squeeze a little more sharpness and contrast out of
a subject, Rollei or Hasselblad do it better.

Allen Zak