[rollei_list] Re: Dust!

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:52:26 -0700

I went through Brooks Institute of Photography, 1959-1961 and became a commercial photographer. Back then, 4x5 view camera was the main curriculum. The FIRST thing we were taught was 'how to clean film holders and keep dust off of your film'.

Film holders live their entire life in plastic bags, in my case, it was six to a bag. They come out only for cleaning and loading and immediately put back in (load in a clean darkroom). And then they come out (one at a time) for the actual exposure and are put right back in the bag. Or a separate 'Exposed' bag.

As I said, my film holders spend their entire life in plastic bags, seeing the light of day only briefly, occasionally. I currently use anti-static bags.

This is still my current practice and I DO NOT have a 'dust on the film' problem. It is 100% eliminated.

Like rust, dust never sleeps. You simply have to be anal about eliminating it.

:-)

Jim

On Aug 17, 2008, at 6:38 AM, ERoustom wrote:

Happy Sunday list.

Very frustrating to develop a film sheet only to find little specks throughout (not airbells, clearly dust blocking exposure). Any advice on loading my Rolleiflex plate adapter film holders? Are those radio-active brushes still available? Should I run a brush over the film before covering?

On the plus side, Efke 25, exposed at 25, in D76 1+3 for 9 minutes, looks pretty good. Maybe a little low on contrast, but that's what I'm trying to get for my condenser enlarger, and paper.

Elias

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org