[rollei_list] Re: Dust!

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 07:50:57 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:01 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Dust!

Hi Rob,

Yes, I believe you can still get an antistatic brush - but I give my negatives a shot of canned air when they are in the carrier.
I guess I'll stop loading them in the dark box, and do it in my darkroom.

What temp did
you develop at?
20C

If you do a lot of B&W darkroom work I would suggest
investing in a cold light for your enlarger. The Zone VI and Aristo cold lights are available on eBay. As you may know, cold lamps reduce the dust
problem.

I'll have to do a little more research on the cold light... I wonder if it will fit my my Durst 605. Dust on the neg during enlarging isn't too much of a problem for me. Do you mean the diffuser will actually help to hide the clear (unexposed) areas in the film, that the dust caused during exposure?

Elias

While diffusion heads, and a cold light head is a diffusion head, are supposed to supress blemishes they dont really make a lot of difference. Also, if you have clear spots on your negatives from dust being on them at the time of exposure the type of light source will make no difference at all. Dust in the darkroom is sometimes difficult. An anti-static brush will certainly help as will increasing the RH a bit by boiling some water in the room. Ultimately you just have to clean the stuffing out of everything. Wet mopping will help but mop the walls too. I often brush off negatives with one-shot brushes made of Kimwipes.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx